LOOP LLC (Louisiana Offshore Oil Port) has an immediate opening for a Safety Assurance Engineer. This position will be assigned to the Covington, Louisiana Headquarters and will report to the Manager, Strategic Planning. This position routinely requires eight hour (8) days on a 5/2 schedule.
The Safety Assurance Engineer is responsible for design and implementation of a comprehensive set of controls designed to identify, assess, and mitigate safety risks within the Company. This position uses “Plan, Do, Check, Adjust” (PDCA) to evaluate and elevate the Company’s safety performance through use of audits, metrics, management review and continuous improvement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Safety Management System Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement audit procedures integrating API RP 1173, Element 10, Safety Assurance, by identifying criteria, scope, frequency, methods for planning, and conducting and documenting safety assurance audits.
- Monitor application of LOOP’s pipeline safety management systems (PSMS) to assure conformance with API RP 1173.
- Preform evaluations to assess effectiveness of LOOP’s risk management and safety performance to include (a) stakeholder engagement; (b) risk analysis; (c) management of change; (d) incident investigations, including findings, recommendations and lesson’s learned; (e) management review; (f) emergency response; (g) personnel issues to include near-miss experiences and abnormal operating data as appropriate.
- Develop and implement procedures to evaluate LOOP’s safety culture and PSMS maturity to enhance continual safety performance improvement.
- Ensure audit findings are addressed within defined response times.
- Develop and implement a reporting and feedback process for employees and contractors to identify new and emerging risks.
- Assess risk mitigation activity as it pertains to API RP 1173, Element 10.
- Identify leading key performance indicators (KPIs) to measure effectiveness of risk management and adequacy of PSMS, and monitor lagging KPIs and corrective actions needed to remediate.
- Provide technical support and advice to contractors and LOOP personnel addressing risk management as it pertains to safe operations of the pipeline.
- Develop and prepare reports reflecting actual safety compliance to meet the requirements of government agencies and to aid management decisions.
- Maintain required training and certification(s) according to LOOP and OSHA Standards.
Follow the procedures set forth by the organization.
| Identify and reveal risks to management.
| Identify improvements to safety processes and procedures, considering fellow employees, contract personnel, and the public when addressing an abnormal condition or nonconforming process or procedure.
| Be mindful of cascading failures early on and take action to prevent a catastrophic event.
Bachelor’s Degree in Safety or Industrial Technology, or related field preferred.
Minimum seven (7) years prior experience in safety, regulatory and/ or security, preferably, in petroleum, energy, petro-chemical or similar industries.
Associated Safety Professional (ASP) or Certified Safety Professional (CSP) preferred.
These competencies are essential in successful completion of all facets of this role.
- Accountability- Conscientious and diligent in executing work plans so that schedules and quality standards are met. Provides immediate feedback and coaching to employees on performance, recognizing exceptional efforts and addressing improvement needs. Present and available to employees, providing input and guidance as needed.
- Customer Connectivity- Works to be as responsive to internal customers as to external customers. Makes every effort to meet commitments that have been made to customers and alerts others if commitments may be delayed or cannot be met. Creative in developing solutions to customers’ issues and concerns.
- Shared Mindset- Encourages direct reports and peers to keep the Company's vision in mind. Not hesitant to raise questions or constructively present challenges or differences of opinion with other leaders. Once consensus is reached, is willing to communicate the results, even if different than his/her personal view. Shares information with rest of leadership team on how strategy and vision are being received and implemented by employees.
- Teamwork/Collaboration- Listens to others and values different viewpoints. Promotes an atmosphere of teamwork and encourages welcoming of newcomers. Actively participates in project/Performance Based Goal Teams and supports participation by direct reports, helping to meet tactical plan objectives.
- Quality- Has set of inherent characteristics to fulfill requirements are met in order to provide an effective and efficient work process that leads to excellence in output.
- Adaptability/Flexibility- Adapts to change, is open to new ideas, takes on new responsibilities, handles pressure, adjusts plans to meet changing needs.
- Communication- Communicates well both verbally and in writing, creates accurate and punctual reports, delivers presentations, shares information and ideas with others, has good listening skills.
- Planning- Develops realistic plans, sets goals, aligns plans with company goals, plans for and manages resources, creates contingency plans, coordinates/cooperates with others.
- Problem Solving/ Analysis- Breaks down problems into smaller components, understands underlying issues, can simplify and process complex issues, understands the difference between critical details and unimportant facts.
- Job Knowledge- Understands duties and responsibilities, has necessary job knowledge, has necessary technical skills, understands company mission/values, keeps job knowledge current, is in command of critical issues.
- Safety & Environmental- Promotes mutual respect, keeps workplace clean and safe, supports Company safety and environmental programs through observation of safety and environmental procedures and taking appropriate action to report observation of potentially unsafe conditions.
LOOP LLC offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, life and disability insurance, as well as both a pension and 401(k) Savings Plan.