LOOP LLC (Louisiana Offshore Oil Port) has an opening for an Attorney. This position will be assigned to the Covington, Louisiana Headquarters and will report to the General Counsel & Secretary. This position routinely requires eight hour (8) days on a 5/2 schedule.
Responsible for high quality legal counsel and other legal support services to the Company so that it may provide cost-effective, timely and legally compliant services to its customers. Protects the legal interest of the Company through the identification and assessment of issues, demonstrates ability to identify potential solutions and opportunities in order to appropriately balance business, regulatory and legal concerns to support the vision and mission of the Company.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Safety Management System Responsibilities:
- Provides commercial support to Business Development relating to shippers including reviewing proposals, drafting and negotiating agreements, and reviewing Foreign Trade Zone activities.
- Assists in the development of contract policies, procedures, and forms; reviews and analyzes agreements and proposals to support operational and commercial transactions and develops and reviews contractor insurance requirements and policies, in support of the Finance and Procurement Departments.
- Manages and directs risk insurance claim investigations with LOOP and non-LOOP personnel. Develops litigation strategy, selection and management of outside counsel. Provides support to outside counsel by coordinating discovery, interviewing of LOOP personnel and other witnesses.
- Provides legal support for projects and teams obtaining financing (bonds, lines of credit, etc.); including, drafting agreements, reviewing, editing of agreements drafted by other parties or outside counsel.
- Advises the General Counsel and members of senior management of the legal aspects of administrative and operational planning of the Company’s activities.
- Develops, reviews, negotiates and implements contracts and contracting policies in support of the Procurement Department.
- Leads or participates in internal audits and investigations, as needed.
- Assists the General Counsel as to the anticipated legal and other consequences of instituting, prosecuting, and defending claims and lawsuits, and supervises the preparation and trial of legal proceedings instituted or defended by the Company.
- Assists in the rendering of legal advice and opinions regarding: the title to property in which the Company has or intends to acquire an interest; contractual arrangements; local, state, federal, and/or foreign laws and regulations; legislative matters; and, permits, franchises, publications, and speeches of interest to or concerning the Company.
- Maintains required training and certification(s) according to LOOP and OSHA Standards.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of and strictly adheres to LOOP safety requirements.
Follow the procedures set forth by the organization.
Identify and reveal risks to management.
Identify improvements to safety processes and procedures, considering fellow employees, contract personnel, and the public when addressing an abnormal condition or nonconforming process or procedure.
Be mindful of cascading failures early on and take action to prevent a catastrophic event.
Degree of Juris Doctor (JD) required.
A minimum of five (5) years related experience in corporation law with emphasis on taxes, environmental protection, real estate, finance, and/or other liquid pipeline related subject matters. Specific experience within the energy or transportation industries which would provide a knowledge and understanding of DOT and FERC regulations would be preferred.
License to practice law in Louisiana is required.
These competencies are essential in successful completion of all facets of this role.
- Accountability- Conscientious and diligent in executing work plans so that schedules and quality standards are met. Provides immediate feedback and coaching to employees on performance, recognizing exceptional efforts and addressing improvement needs. Present and available to employees, providing input and guidance as needed.
- Customer Connectivity- Works to be as responsive to internal customers as to external customers. Makes every effort to meet commitments that have been made to customers and alerts others if commitments may be delayed or cannot be met. Creative in developing solutions to customers’ issues and concerns.
- Shared Mindset- Encourages direct reports and peers to keep the Company's vision in mind. Not hesitant to raise questions or constructively present challenges or differences of opinion with other leaders. Once consensus is reached, is willing to communicate the results, even if different than his/her personal view. Shares information with rest of leadership team on how strategy and vision are being received and implemented by employees.
- Teamwork/Collaboration- Listens to others and values different viewpoints. Promotes an atmosphere of teamwork and encourages welcoming of newcomers. Actively participates in project/Performance Based Goal Teams and supports participation by direct reports, helping to meet tactical plan objectives.
- Interpersonal Skills- Has good listening skills, builds strong relationships, is flexible/open-minded, negotiates effectively, solicits performance feedback and handles constructive criticism.
- Negotiation Skills- Conducts positive negotiations, ability to compromise, handles conflict, seeks common ground, articulates own and others goals, stays focused on positive outcome.
- Global Perspective- Has a global view and is comfortable and effective working with global partners, understands global markets and international considerations.
- Creativity/Innovation- Generates new ideas, challenges the status quo, takes risks, supports change, encourages innovation, solves problems creatively.
- Dependability- Meets commitments, works independently, accepts accountability, handles change, sets personal standards, stays focused under pressure, meets attendance/punctuality requirements.
- Job Knowledge- Understands duties and responsibilities, has necessary job knowledge, has necessary technical skills, understands company mission/values, keeps job knowledge current, is in command of critical issues.
- Problem Solving/Analysis- Breaks down problems into smaller components, understands underlying issues, can simplify and process complex issues, understands the difference between critical details and unimportant facts.
- Results Focus- Targets and achieves results, sets challenging goals, prioritizes tasks, overcomes obstacles, accepts accountability, sets team standards and responsibilities, provides leadership/motivation.
- Customer Focus- Builds customer confidence, is committed to increasing customer satisfaction, sets achievable customer expectations, assumes responsibility for solving customer problems, ensures commitments to customers are met, solicits opinions and ideas from customers, responds to internal customers.
Other Required Skills
- Safety & Environmental- Promotes mutual respect, keeps workplace clean and safe, supports Company safety and environmental programs through observation of safety and environmental procedures and taking appropriate action to report observation of potentially unsafe conditions.
: Requires well-developed writing skills to develop legal documents, operating policies and programs and verbal skills to interpret and explain the company’s legal position to the Company’s owner representatives, senior management, courts, regulatory bodies, and employee groups. Highly developed negotiating skills are required in the resolution of issues to the Company’s benefit. Financial management skills are required in the development and management of the department's budget. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical reports, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or owner representatives.
LOOP LLC offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, life and disability insurance, as well as both a pension and 401(k) Savings Plan.